Ingredients To Avoid
So bearing this in mind, I have put together a brief list encompassing key ingredients you should avoid, particularly associated with face and body cleansers as well as moisturisers and lip balms.
- Benzalkonium Chloride and Benzethonium Chloride - used as a preservative in moisturisers, facial cleansers, acne treatment and more.
This chemical may trigger asthma, lower your immune system and can even put you in danger of possible organ system failure. As well as this it also causes brain disruption, nervous system failure and respiratory and blood effects.
- Bronopol - found in face cleansers, moisturisers, body wash, makeup remover and anti-ageing products.
This chemical can cause lung and skin issues as well as damages to the brain and nervous system.
- Cocamide Dea/ Lauramide Dea - used in most cosmetic and personal care products as an emulsifying agent (so that water and oil can mix to make a creamy consistency).
This causes irritant and immune system toxicants and can be carcinogenic.
- Hydroquinone - used in facial moisturisers, anti-ageing products, facial cleansers and moisturisers as an antioxidant.
It can cause damage to the immune system, respiratory and potential nervous system harm and is a possible carcinogen.
- Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate - used as preservative in many cosmetics.
This is a human toxicant and can cause possible liver immune system toxin as well as reactions from allergies.
- Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchlorisothaizolinone - used as preservatives in many personal care products and cosmetics.
This chemical is toxic to the immune and nervous systems, as well as brain development.
- Parabens (Methyl, Ethyl, Propyl and Butyl) - used in many cosmetics and personal care products as a preservative and anti-bacterial agent.
This alters hormone levels and is a possible carcinogen. It can also impair fertility in both men and women and can disrupt foetus development
- Propylene Glycol - used in many personal care products and cosmetics as a solvent, penetration enhancer, temperature and viscosity regulator.
Alters skin structure therefore allowing other chemicals to penetrate the skin increasing chemicals in the blood.
- Benzophenone - found in both Lip balms and moisturisers and vast range of other products.
This chemical is directly linked to cancer, organ system toxicity and reproductive toxicity.
- Nitrosamines (TEA/DEA) - found in almost every personal care product.
This common chemical causes carcinogen, endocrine disruption and organ system toxicity.
These are just a select few of the many ingredients you need to be wary of in your products, if you would like to read further you can refer to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website. And just so you are 100% sure, the Miss Organics all natural range has absolutely no nasty ingredients, with no complex names to confuse anyone! So you can rest assured that the Miss Organics products will be the safest on the shelf - don't take my word for it, check the ingredients list! And as a matter of fact, checking the ingredients list of products is the single most effective thing you can do to make sure you are buying clean, safe cosmetics, no matter what the marketing claims. Please always do that - check ingredients, check, check!
Enjoyed reading this article? Sign up below to hear from me next time or shop my organic skincare products.