A frequently asked question I receive concerning our skincare products is about the benefits of using oil on your body instead of cream. Why would you consider doing that? Doesn’t it make your skin oily? Read on to find out why I swapped my creams for oils and why I think you should do too!
1. Oils are pure. Creams on the other hand are made up of up to 95% water, preservatives, waxes and fillers, whilst oil products simply consist of nutrient packed plant oils and in our case, natural vitamins. This is important because when applying a cream or an oil on your skin you would want to use safe ingredients since anything you put on your skin will be absorbed into the body and so the less funny ingredients the safer the product is for you. Oils are 100% pure, active ingredients with no heavily processed nasties like the majority of creams so you can be sure using oils is the purest method to look after your skin. This also makes them more suitable for sensitive skin since their purity minimises common irritations occurring from the use of synthetic emulsifiers, fragrances, and preservatives.
2. Creams are often less effective. All the different types of ingredients in creams mean they are not only less pure but also often less effective at moisturising and nourishing skin. This is because creams are made up of water- and oil-soluble ingredients, and since these two ingredients don't mix together naturally, they need an emulsifier to hold them together. Whilst this emulsifier creates the lovely, soft consistency creams are known for, it actually isn't doing anything for your skin and is often synthetic (an we know the dangers that brings). The waxes that are often used in all natural creams, on the other hand, form a layer that simply sits on top of the skin preventing the oil aspect of the cream from being absorbed. Not only this but the wax used in creams can also clog pores and aggravate acne.
3. Oils are easily absorbed. Oils are packed with amino acids, antioxidants and essential nutrients and help keep the moisture in your skin. Using all natural oils ensures your body will recognise the nutrients that are bursting in them, and they will be absorbed directly into your body. You will be taking full benefit of all the goodness that is packed in the product as opposed to the nutrients just sitting on top of your skin or even worse, being synthetic and potential harmful or hardly absorbed by the body.
4. Oils are great for treating a number of skin issues. The emphasis with creams is mainly on their hydration properties whereas oils are great for combating a variety of skin issues at the same time. Oils are great for moisturising since they help restore the natural oils that get stripped away from your skin as a result of day to day life. But oils are also good for dealing with skin issues such as acne, pigmentation, dry patches, eczema, psoriasis, etc., all the while promoting skin health whilst treating these issues.
5. Oils can be used for multiple purposes. For example as well as being a moisturiser they can also be used as a make-up primer or to remove make-up. Not only do oils offer a wide variety of benefits but they make great value for money if you chose to use them as a multi-purpose product. They can also be a life saver when travelling too!
Plant based oils have been around for over 40,000 years and were used since the Egyptian era to help skin stay soft and radiant. Inspired by plant power, at Miss Organics we offer organic face and body oils made from the finest natural ingredients to promote skin health. Comment below if you've tried facial oils yet, or do you want to ask us anything about them?